March 25, 2013

mock lasagna

I have another dinner solution for you guys today. This recipe has special meaning for me. It has been in my family for years, whenever we had company coming over, this was usually what we would be having for dinner! It's easy to make in large batches for a group and tastes just as good for lunch the next day.
It's a little different because we don't use noodles. Intrigued? Lets get started!

What you will need:


  • 3/4 lb. Ground beef
  • 1/2 lb. Mild Italian ground sausage
  • 15 oz. Tomato sauce
  • 1 tsp. Oregano
  • 1 c. Small curd cottage cheese (if you don't like cottage cheese, don't worry, you won't taste it!)
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 c. Parmesan cheese
  • 2 tubes Pillsbury dough sheets (if unavailable at your store, get 2 tubes, regular crescent rolls)
  • 8 slices Mozzarella cheese (1 pkg, not sure why I have 2 in the photo, oops!)
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.

On your stove top, brown and drain meat. Let cool.
Then add your tomato sauce and oregano, stir together.



In separate bowl, beat together the cottage cheese, Parmesan cheese, and egg.



Spray a 9x13 baking pan with cooking spray. Then layer your first tube of Pillsbury dough on the bottom. If using regular crescent rolls, pinch all holes together.



Next, create your first layer using half of the meat. the second layer will be all of the cheese/egg mix, then add the rest of your meat on top of that creating the third layer. Place your mozzarella slices on top.



Layer your second tube of Pillsbury dough on top to form the crust. Again pinching together holes if needed.



Bake for 30 minutes. It will come out looking golden brown like this!



Serve with a side salad and French bread for a complete meal everyone will love.
I guarantee it!  

4 comments:

  1. Oh I remember this dish! As I recall it involved a couple teenage girls, house sitting, and a lot of worry over a tablespoon rather than a teaspoon oregano (it was still yum btw.) I will definitely be giving this one a try - Thanks for the recipe and the "flashback". ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! oh my goodness, yes... When I was making it this time, I double checked to make sure I had the right measurement!! Good times ;)

      Delete
  2. I grew up on this too... at your house! Haha! Thanks for the recipe. I'll have to make this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh mock lasagna! So yummy! I miss that stuff, can't wait to make it on my own :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...